MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF
DRYBROOK PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON TUESDAY 9th JUNE 2023
AT THE SCHOOL ROOM, FOREST CHURCH at 7.00pm
PRESENT: Cllr R Bardo (in the Chair initially), M Garland, M Jones, P Weaver, J Print, P Caton, D Middlemiss and J Johnston. Also County Councillor T Hale and 2 members of the public. The minutes were taken by the Clerk Mrs D Smith.
1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SIGN DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST & CO-OPTION
Apologies received from Cllr Blake and Cllr Fraser.
Declarations were signed.
Councillor Richard Moore was co-opted – proposed by Cllr Garland, seconded by Cllr Caton and agreed.
2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
3. ELECTION OF CHAIR & VICE CHAIR
Cllr Garland nominated Cllr Print as Chair. This was seconded by Cllr Middlemiss and agreed. Cllr Bardo was thanked for all his hard work as chair. There were no other nominations.
Cllr Print nominated Cllr Blake as Vice Chair (she has already agreed to accept). This was seconded by Cllr Garland and agreed. There were no further nominations.
4. ELECTION OF OTHER REPRESENTATIVES
Planning committee – it was agreed for Cllr Blake to lead this. Cllr Print would like 3 members for this committee and will possible look at non-council members to assist.
Foul weather/snow warden – Cllr Garland will continue in this role for now.
It was also agreed to form an events committee – members to be agreed.
5. ACCEPTANCE OF MINUTES OF MONTHLY MEETING 18 APRIL 2023
It was proposed by Cllr Middlemiss, seconded by Cllr Garland and agreed that the minutes were a true and accurate record and they were duly signed by the Chair.
6. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES, NOT ON THE AGENDA
Speed sign – Cllr Bardo has obtained a price for the broken sign to be looked at. It will cost £192 initially and then additional repair costs. It was agreed to get the sign repaired but in the meantime the spare sign can be used. The locations of the signs were discussed with a view to moving them around the parish periodically. Cllr Bardo will also check on the batteries to use as the ones purchased from Amazon do not seem to last. He will also continue to provide data from the signs to the police.
Cllr Johnston reported that funding had been obtained for the field and path at Brierley and the funds will be issued direct to the parish council.
Parking outside the Co-op continues to be a problem and Cllr Hale and the Highways manager will look at this again.
Storage container – Cllr Middlemiss confirmed he is happy for the parish council to continue using his storage space for now.
Cllrs Print and Middlemiss looked at the issue of the land at The Hollow. The main issue is still the water and flooding but there have also been complaints about the rubbish and possible vermin. Cllr Hale explained the problem of the incorrect enforcement notice that was initially issued and the fact that there is no enforcement officer at the District Council at present.
The leak in the toilets has now been repaired. Cllr Middlemiss will monitor usage and will also look into grants to assist with the upkeep.
5. REPORTS, including CHAIR
Cllr Print plans to produce an annual plan to assist with budget projections. Procedures and Standing Orders need to be reviewed – the Clerk will send paper copies to those not on email to look at for the next meeting.
There was a report of potholes in the village Hall car park. This is a joint responsibility of the Hall and the Surgery but there have been problems with contacting the owner of the surgery.
Cllr Blake has provided a planning report. The application at The Goslings, Ruardean Woodside was of concern and Cllr Blake has responded accordingly.
Cllr Hale has been asked to renew the white lines outside Drybrook School and this is on the list to be done. The Clerk was asked to resend the letter requesting the new car park light for Drybrook. The village signs are still on order. Cllr Hale has helped obtain a grant for Woodside School and is helping with the fencing project at Brierley field. He is still dealing with ongoing issues with the recycling area at Ruardean Hill. Cllr Weaver again informed Cllr Hale that the road at Newham Bottom is collapsing and is in urgent need of repair. There is also a manhole near The Squirrels in the High Street that needs repairing.
Cllr Bardo informed councillors that they will be invited to a CANDI celebration shortly. He also proposed setting up an account with Hales to help with the purchase of items to repair bus shelters etc. This was seconded by Cllr Print and agreed.
8. PUBLIC QUESTIONS
There was concern over the lack of progress with planning for the old farm house and Overbrook Garage both of which have lapsed planning permissions. It was also pointed out that the parish council need a better profile to advertise what they do and the Clerk will check if an annual Parish meeting is still a requirement as she had been informed that it was not.
9. PLANNING MATTERS
Already discussed and report given
10. FINANCIAL MATTERS
i) Payment of accounts: D Smith (June salary) – £308.67, Expenses (May/June), £33.00, N Baker (toilet cleaning) -£480), Complete Landscape Gardeners (grass cutting ) – £984, Complete Landscape Gardeners (street cleaning) – £460 , BHIB Insurance – £1730.32, GAPTC (subscription) – £874.58,
ii) Review of current Standing Orders and procedures – to be looked at at the next meeting.
11. NEW CORRESPONDENCE
12. ITEMS FOR INFORMATION ONLY AND AGENDA ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
Look at larger 30mph signs for Hawthorns.
Fence at Brierley – there may be a grant request.
Review of grass cutting and other contracts, including toilet cleaning – look at possible village warden. Cllr Middlemiss will be assisting with contracts and budgets – this was proposed by Cllr Jones, seconded by Cllr Weaver and agreed.
The costs of running the toilets was also discussed and Cllr Middlemiss will try and find a way to monitor the usage. Councillors will also investigate options such as a unisex toilet. It was noted that the decorative floral balls had been stolen.
13. CONFIRM DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Meeting closed at 8.45pm.
Signed___________________________________ Chair Date_______________________________